Monday, December 7, 2009

Back To School


I remember coming back from Russia and Africa that it takes awhile to "detox." Everything seems different and strange when you return and the contrast between extreme poverty and the wealth we have here is almost too much to take. For some reason this morning was when it hit me that I'm back in the U.S. Busy rushing around and driving my girls to their beautiful school building in my nice heated car. It's just strange. It made me think of the school building we visited in Cazale. This is the room for the 4th graders. Kids squeeze as close as they can to fit on these benches and eagerly learn with huge hope for a bright future. I wish kids in America could see this classroom and the desire to learn in the Haitian children, so they could see how MUCH they have and be thankful for it. I know this is just a day to settle back in to my reality. The U.S. is not reality....just my reality. My head is reeling with so many things. The thing I know for sure is that I'm going to use the experiences I had in Haiti to do whatever I can to make sure those kids in Haiti have hope for their future. They have so much joy right now and I don't want to see that EVER go away.

I will be posting a lot more about our time in Haiti soon.
So much to share yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment